You are the Gift


Earlier this year, Sharon Eubanks gave a devotional at BYU titled “You are the Gift” that has stuck with me ever since. The premise of the talk can be summed up in some of her parting words:

“If we change our perspective so that caring for the poor and the needy is less about giving stuff away and more about filling the hunger for human contact, providing meaningful conversation, and creating rich and positive relationships, then the Lord can send us someplace.”

This sentiment is powerful to me. Though the whole point of the talk was about how we don’t need to travel great distances or fundraise large amounts of money to make a difference, I found myself thinking about it a lot on my trip (where I had ironically enough, done both of those things). Though that sort of help is no doubt unappreciated, I also recognize there is more I have to offer, especially since I likely won’t be doing these sorts of trips continuously.

The clinics I was working with are all clinics founded and run by local people. These people have gone to school for many years to be trained in ophthalmology, optometry, and optics. Though I have a willing heart, I haven’t completed anything like the training they have. What I have to offer, in the words of Eubanks, is more about “filling the hunger for human contact, providing meaningful conversation, and creating rich and positive relationships.” When I think about the work in this context, it becomes even more meaningful. Some of the people who came to the outreaches or underwent surgery were nervous and confused about what was happening. Setting aside a few moments to take the visual acuity at a slower pace or make small talk with the patients waiting to get surgery made a huge difference.

The best part of thinking about work in the context of building better relationships with those around us means that I can continue doing it even though my time in Ghana is done. I can still feel fulfilled and like I have a purpose, because I do. I can continuously work towards being perfectly responsive to any need that comes my way, wherever I am. As children of God, this is what the Lord wants of everyone. He wants to use us. There is a work for us to do, and it is specific to us and our abilities. You, yourself are the gift. Not the clothing or the hygiene kits or the wells or the school desks. It is you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Kumasi

Week 5: Accra