Things I Will (& Won't) Miss About Ghana

It's hard to believe that I've only been here for six weeks because so much life has happened in that short amount of time. With my time here up, I've been reflecting a lot about what I've been missing about home and what I'll miss about here.

Things I will miss:
- The food. Namely the mangoes, the pineapple, milo, boflot, and chocolate FanIce. I will most definitely be suffering withdrawals when I get back home.
- How cheap everything is. I'm gonna have a hard time paying more than $1.50 for a full plate of food or $4 for a new shirt.
- The humidity. Maybe not the humidity itself, but rather its effects. Okay fine maybe just how curly it makes my hair.
- I didn't see this one coming either, but I weirdly like handwashing my clothes. I don't have to worry about clothes getting ruined in the washer or dryer and I can get it done while I'm showering. #multitasking
- The constant learning. With hundreds of languages around, a completely new culture, and shadowing surgeries and exams, there was never any shortage of information to learn.
- The people. You know I had to put one cheesy one in here. I've met so many good people in such a short amount of time and it's hard to say goodbye.


Things I won't miss:
- The lack of anonymity when someone finds a long hair somewhere. Everyone always knows who to blame and it's the worst.
- How hard it is to hear people indoors because there are at least 12 fans going.
- Call to prayer at 4 am. I respect the dedication, truly, but I also love sleep.
- The infinite number of speedbumps.
- The constant swinging from constipation to diarrhea. There is no in between.
- The fact that in the past six weeks, I've seen more male genitalia than in my entire previous 20 years of life. Mostly because of all the very not-shy men peeing on the street, but the multitudinous wooden carvings and the clinic signs displaying growth supplements or graphic warnings against syphilis were also contributors.

I'm a sentimental sap and the idea of this small part of my life ending is sad. I'm learning that a big part of traveling is learning to be okay with how temporary everything is, from the places you stay at to the people you meet. It's a skill that I'm still very much in the process of learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Kumasi

Week 5: Accra