Gnat takes flight

Well, I'm finally on my way to Ghana! I was full of nerves yesterday morning on the way to the airport but that might have just been the rush I got from waiting until the last possible second to finish packing. Now that I've settled into my long flights, the nerves are gone and I'm pretty bored. I have a long flight schedule because I got a pretty good deal on tickets (always so worth it to me), so I have layovers in both D.C. and Brussels before getting to Accra.

In preparation for this trip, I've had to read various articles, complete online training modules, and answer very thorough questions about what exactly I've learned. Though a bit tedious, it's part of the reason I chose to work with this program. I wanted to be a part of an organization that understands sustainable development and makes sure I understand it too. Sustainability is vital if an organization wants to make any lasting, meaningful change in a community.

For six weeks, I'll be working with the local eye doctors. Most days (usually 3-5) I'll be on "outreaches" where I'll either test patients' eyesight before they are examined by the optometrists and ophthalmic nurses or I'll be at a dispensing station, dispensing various medication to patients as well as giving them reading glasses and testing to see if they can read from an appropriate distance. For the rest of the days (usually 0-2), I'll spend my time at the actual eye clinic shadowing various eye surgeries. There are five independent clinics that are partnered with Unite for Sight, so I'll be assigned to one or two of them during my time there.

For as much training as I've gone through though, there are still a lot of unknowns. Reading is great and all, but it can hardly compare to actually experiencing the food (hopefully it won't be as spicy as everyone says it is), the weather (hopefully it won't be as hot and humid as everyone says it is), or the people (hopefully they live up to how wonderful everyone says they are). I've been looking forward to this internship for a long time so I'm excited to finally get there and start working. Next time I post, I'll be in Ghana!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Kumasi

Week 5: Accra