Week 5: Accra


Sunday, June 2nd:
For all my talk about being spared from sickness in Tamale, it finally happened last night. I went to bed at 2:30 and woke up an hour later. I laid there and tried to figure out what had woken me up when I slowly realized how nauseous I was. I went to the bathroom and “runny tummy” took over. The nausea persisted and I suddenly realized I had about three seconds to switch which end was on the toilet before I threw up. After an hour or so, my body decided that was enough for now and I went back to sleep. I had 45 minutes before I had to wake up because the driver was going to arrive at 5:30 to take us to the airport. What a night.

I was very grateful the nausea didn’t continue in full force once I woke up and I didn’t eat any breakfast to make sure it didn’t get worse. Christian and I said our goodbyes to Foster and we checked our bags. The Tamale airport is easily the smallest airport I’ve ever been in. There was one gate (that I could see at least) where people could wait for their flights. We had a nice little walk to the plane and when we boarded, we were greeted with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir playing on the speakers. Love it.
The walk to our plane
Christian fell asleep and started snoring almost immediately. He only woke up for the beverage cart, and good thing too because they also had sandwiches (even though it was less than an hour-long flight)! I had a turkey sandwich and milo so I was very happy. When we arrived in Accra, Christian and I had to wait outside for two hours while we waited for the driver. Luckily it’s a bit cooler in Accra than Tamale so I wasn’t sweating toooo much.
My lovely lunch
When we got to the hotel, the rest of the group was at church but there were four new volunteers who had just arrived the day before! I was in the process of introducing myself when Francis told me I was going to be taken to a nearby hotel because they didn’t have room for me They dropped me off and suddenly I was alone in the room, sitting on the bed and watching a telenovela. There was no wifi so I couldn’t contact anyone, and I realized I would be very bored for the rest of the day. Suddenly, Francis walked in and said he’d been sent to bring me back. Apparently the group had found out I’d been sent to a different hotel and they weren’t having it. I was touched <3

I had a lot of fun talking to one of the new volunteers named Sage. She’s doing her masters in social work and sustainable development at Columbia and she is seriously so inspiring! She’s done work in Africa (Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda) before and it was so fun to talk to her about her travels. Her and I decided to go to Cabo Corso because I’d been dreaming about it the whole time I was in Tamale. CC is the place that has a burger, fries, and a drink for 12 cedis. My chicken sandwich was everything I’d dreamed it would be and more. Then of course on the way back, I had no choice but to show Sage the beauty of FanIce so we had to stop and get some.
Random pic, but I am continuously impressed at the size / weight
of the things people can carry on their heads
On the walk to CC
When we got back to the hotel, the boys were having a “gamer night” (apparently this became a thing while I was gone) in the lobby. There was ice cream, soda, and of course, video games. I was roped into playing a couple rounds and I filled the last place slot nicely. It was only 9:00, but it suddenly hit me how exhausted I was. I guess an hour of sleep the night before will do that to you. I went upstairs and took a shower and spent maybe an hour washing almost all of my clothes. I’d gotten lazy in Tamale and had hardly washed anything because my shower produced only a single very powerful stream of water to wash in. It was like trying to bathe with a power washer. It felt so good to finally lay down, especially because the mattresses here are significantly better than what I’ve had for the past three weeks. Feels good to be back.

Monday, June 3rd:
Oh my goodness. I forgot that the hotel provides breakfast in the morning and that was the best thing to wake up to. I had a boflot (FINALLY. I’ve been craving one for weeks) and some bean nuggets. I have no idea what they’re called. They look like chicken nuggets (and almost taste like them too), but they’re made out of beans. I also had coco, a soupy porridge-esque concoction that calls for a generous amount of ginger. Sadly, the other volunteers left for the north this morning (they’re our replacements) so I don’t think they got to partake of the bounty.
Sweet Gabby bearing gifts from her run
The van came for us at 8:30 and it was only an hour or so drive to the outreach. I was so surprised when I realized my surroundings were familiar and that we were pulling into Teshie, the first outreach area I went to! I remembered the staff saying they made sure to go to each village once a month or so, so I guess it makes sense that we’d be back here, but it was so fun to be back. I remembered a couple of the kids and it was fun catching up with them.

I was posted at the visual acuity station with two other volunteers, Dallin and Andrew. This was the first time we’d been put at the same clinic, so it was fun working with them and getting to know them a little better. There was a fairly constant stream of patients from 10:00 to 5:00. I don’t know the official count yet, but the number is somewhere around 300. Wowza. Definitely a change of pace from the north where the most we saw was 120.

Highlights:
-          There was a lady nearby selling huge mangos for three cedis so naturally I had to buy one. It did not disappoint.
-          During a lull in the patients, a nearby school got out and a few of the more curious / brave kids came over to say hi. We played some football with them, but that was very tiring in the hot sun so we needed to come up with a more calming activity. I decided to teach them some yoga and it was both hilarious and adorable to watch them all copy my sun salutations.
-          People here speak a significantly higher amount of English so visual acuity was a piece of cake.
-          After the sun set, a group gathered on the side we weren’t using anymore and conducted their (church?) choir practice. Their harmonies were on POINT and I loved listening to them.
Playing football
My yoga students
Selfie with Bismark, our driver

We finally finished up at 8:00 and I felt toasted by the end. I passed out in the car ride back and came straight up to my room when we got home. I was still really full from the late lunch they provided us so I decided I didn’t need dinner / socializing time and just got ready for bed.

Tuesday, June 4th:
Sleep works wonders. I woke up ready for the day. We had some cereal and toast before all piling into the van for another outreach. We’d been driving for about five minutes when the driver got a call. Apparently, today was actually a surgery day at the clinic and they wanted us there to sign off on surgeries. So we drove back home and found out we wouldn’t be picked up for another three hours. We decided to walk to a nearby internet cafĂ© and invest some time and money into our homework. It’s good to hear I’m not the only one that has a lot left to do.

I’ve decided I love internet cafes. Wifi for two devices for two hours cost 10 cedis! How can I say no to that?? The connection was the fastest I’ve experienced yet, so in addition to homework, I also downloaded a ton of songs, podcasts, and movies for those long drives to the outreaches. When our time ran out, we went and found some food. Even though it wasn’t super hot, it was SO humid. I felt like breathing water and every part of me was slightly damp. Then it started raining and was actually damp.

The three other volunteers and I took turns watching surgeries and signing off on them in behalf of Unite for Sight. Dr. James Clark is the head ophthalmologist here at Crystal Eye Clinic and he is legendary. He was pumping out cataract surgeries in less than 10 minutes apiece. I was in awe. I had just asked him how old the youngest person that he’d performed cataract surgery on was when the nurse carried in a screaming baby. Dr. Clark had just told me the youngest he’d done was nine months old, and this baby was eight months old. When they’re that young, they’re put to sleep instead of trying to do local anesthesia. Seeing this limp little boy on the table was kind of hard but also incredibly exciting because he was going to get his congenital cataract removed.
Joel, the little 8 month old
Patients waiting for surgery

Cleaning the tools before the next surgery
Gabby watches on as Dr. Clark removes a cataract
We finished up surgeries a little before 7:00. We piled in a very small taxi and endured the ever-stressful driving. Tonight’s traffic was especially bad for some reason and there was a near miss about once every 10 seconds. I was practically holding my breath the whole time. Gabby and I were both craving a mango when we got home, so we went to our favorite fruit stand lady and bought five of them (three for us and two to share with everyone else). We sat on our beds and happily inhaled a whole mango each. Life is good.
Gonna miss this so much
Wednesday, June 5th:
Today was a national holiday, Eid ul-Fitr (the end of the fasting month of Ramadan), so there was no outreach today. This is one of the last free days we’ll have in Ghana, so we made sure to take advantage of it. Gabby, Gavin and I decided to go to the botanical gardens in Legon where they have a high ropes course. I’ve done a fair amount of ropes courses over the years, so I was really excited to do one in Ghana. It wasn’t until we got there and I saw signs saying you needed close-toed shoes that I realized I was wearing my Chaco’s. I decided to try anyways and surprise surprise, they didn’t notice / care that I was wearing sandals.
The course
Cute selfie before we got very sweaty
They gave us each a harness to put on and suddenly they were telling us to go ahead and start. No long safety talk? No helmet? No gloves? No telling us how to work the device that connects us to the rope? Simultaneously nice and slightly concerning. It was about $12 to do all four courses and I was pumped. The first two were pretty easy, but by the third I was breathing heavier and the sun was steadily getting hotter. About halfway through the fourth, there was a moment where I seriously didn’t know if I could finish. Like I started brainstorming the possible ways they would rescue me. Sandals were definitely not ideal, I had several rope burns from falling and trying to pull myself up again, and a couple blisters had already formed and ripped open. My legs and arms were both shaking which is especially hilarious because I think Gabby and Gavin were fine. I know I’ve talked about being sweaty before, but I can say without a doubt that today was the sweatiest I’ve ever been. I didn’t have any sweat stains because my entire shirt was damp. I wish I was exaggerating. It’s safe to say that this rope course pushed me to my limits.

Gabby left to go visit a school she’d been in contact with and Gavin and I hailed a taxi to get back home. Our taxi driver was a man named Michael. Michael seemed like a great person. Except for the fact that for the duration of the entire 40-minute car ride, he played the same song over. And over. And over again. It was the taxi ride from hell. I knew every word by the end even though I didn’t know what language it was in. When he finally dropped us off at the mall, I was so happy to escape that taxi I just about cried.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat and then headed back to the hotel. I made conversation with some of the hotel guests / staff and awkwardly swerved the “asking for my number” situation several times. It is so funny to me how forward everyone is here. In the words of Gavin, “they have literally nothing to lose”. Fair enough I guess. We spent the rest of the evening watching random movies on the limited channels available to us. We watched one about aliens saving us from a nuclear explosion and one about fighting crime from the future. Good times.

Thursday, June 6th:
Gabby came back from her run this morning with a bag full of boflot for me. I cannot explain how touched I was. It’s a food they mostly sell in the morning and I couldn’t find it in the north, so I have three weeks of cravings to catch up on. This was an excellent start.

We began the very long drive to today’s outreach. About halfway in, we made the mistake of talking about the various foods we miss: Panda Express, frozen hot chocolate (I had to educate them all and what that is), hummus, blizzards, sweet potato fries, chocolate, Texas Roadhouse, etc. We had an hour and a half long fantasy feast and by the end I was reallyyy missing home. I coped with the things I was feeling by making a list of everything I’m gonna eat when I get back home. That helped.

The outreach today went pretty fast because we had three people doing visual acuity testing; we got through 150 patients before 3:00! By this point I was suuuper hungry because I still hadn’t had lunch, so we all went out to get food. The place we went to only had banku and fufu, so I had some banku with light soup and fish. Banku is almost the same as fufu except that it’s fermented. I was able to get through about half of mine before I was too full. Not like actually full, but just not hungry enough to eat more banku. Then while eating the fish, I found some very small, hard balls in my mouth. When I asked one of the staff what it was, they said it was the eggs? Seems fake but okay. I didn’t eat any more fish after that.

Dallin testing visual acuity
We piled back into the car and endured the drive that seemed even longer on the way back. Dallin and I played tic tac toe and squares on our phones, I listened to a podcast on the extinction of dinosaurs, and we all swapped best date stories. When we finally got back, I was feeling very hungry. I found a place that sold bread and egg and I think I got the thickest slice of bread I’ve ever seen. I also went to the mall with Andrew and Gabby to buy a Snickers bar. It’s about a mile to get there and it cost a steep 7 cedis, but I cannot overstate how good of a decision that was for me, especially after today’s fantasy feast in the car. When we got home, the other group that has been with a different clinic for the past few days was finally back too! It was great to catch up with them and compare outreach experiences.
Evidence of how we spent our car ride
Just look at the thickness of these slices
Friday, June 7th:
We were blessed with a shorter drive today, and it was to another outreach that I’ve been to before! The last time we’d been there, the village hadn’t had electricity for two days and it was super hot. Today, however, it had rained all morning so it was relatively cool. Maybe it was the weather or the fact that they had electricity, but everyone was in such a good mood! Many people came up to us and hugged us and spoke to us in Twi. 

At the beginning of every outreach when one of the staff members is explaining to the group what they’ll be doing and such, they have us (the volunteers) go up to the front and introduce ourselves. I’ve learned that when I introduce myself in my Ghanaian name, Ama, they all cheer and clap. Depending on the day you were born, you have a corresponding name. Since I was a girl born on a Saturday, my name is Ama. If you are a guy born on a Wednesday, your name is Kwaku, etc etc. Everyone cannot pronounce / quickly forgets my name if I say Natalie, but I love how much they remember me if I go by Ama 😊 I had one woman come up at the end and tell me she is also Ama and she offered to sew me a dress! I might capitalize on that.
Found some friends
A very typical vendor setup
Screening went by pretty fast today and we were done by 4:00. They gave us banku for lunch after, but I decided to just buy a couple boflot from a woman nearby instead and I have no regrets about that decision. When we got back to the hotel, a couple of the guys and I did some shopping for soccer jerseys.
A very informative sign in the washroom
The banku and fish
Kaden was teaching Jaden how to make stew for dinner tonight, so I helped out in the kitchen a bit. It was great fun navigating the gas stove that spewed a single (very large) flame and chopping things up in the very dim light. We also fried up some plantains and cassava which were bomb! The fried cassava was especially god because it tasted pretty similar to a French fry. The whole group came together for the family dinner and it was nice to eat all together. Bryan also brought to the table several mangos and even found some donuts! They looked remarkably similar to ones at home but definitely weren’t as sweet. Still great though.
Kaden at the stove
While the boys played video games, I got wrapped into a conversation with two of the hotel staff. One was convincing me that we could make long distance work and I gave every excuse in the book. The conversation finally drifted away from that and we compared dating in the U.S. to dating in Ghana. I knew there were differences, but I was shocked. 

Some highlights (lowlights):
-          If you are dating, it’s the man’s job to provide for a ton of stuff, like her hair appts, food, new phone, etc.
-          Once married, it is the woman’s job is to make the man feel like a king. She should be “submissive” to him.
-          Bank accounts are to always stay separate, even after you’re married. The woman should be very frugal with any money that her husband gives her.
-          As tests of loyalty, the dude will call from a different number (or have a friend call) and ask her out to see what she’ll say. Apparently tests like these should be performed every couple months or so.
-          It’s less bad for the man to cheat than the woman (direct quote)

Needless to say, it was quite the conversation. We talked until 11:30 before I realized how tired I was and that I needed to go to bed. My mind is still racing at the blatant inequality between husband and wife and I’ve never been so grateful that I grew up in a place where equality is valued.

Saturday, June 8th:
Day off today! The day started out on a wonderful note when one of the other hotel guests made some crepes and offered us the leftovers. We were resourceful and used some old ice cream in the fridge to make ourselves some gourmet crepes. It was as good as it sounds.
Devouring dessert for breakfast
After a series of plans falling through, we ended up at the nearby internet cafĂ© and spent a couple hours doing homework. It was super muggy in the room because the AC was broken, so soon I broke down and left the cafĂ©. On the walk back, Gabby and I saw a little store that was telling tons of dresses. I wandered in, just planning to look around a little bit, and I left with four dresses and Gabby left with two. I still don’t know how it happened.
One of the dresses I bought!
We went to the mall for lunch and met up with the rest of the group at CC. I went all out and ordered the double-double. And THEN. We went to a frozen yogurt place. They only had two flavors and it was super expensive, but I ordered the chocolate hazelnut with Oreo bits on it and it was such a good decision. That will curb my blizzard craving just long enough until I get home.

Back at the hotel, I watched some of the shows I’d downloaded while at the internet cafĂ© and Gabby took a little nap. When she woke up, she was hungry again, so we ventured out to find some Indomie (instant noodles). There’s a lady I really like going to for Indomie and egg sandwiches, so we paid her a visit. We were eaten alive by mosquitos while waiting for her food so I was very grateful that 1.) I’d taken my malaria pill that day and 2.) I was wearing long pants so all they could bite were my feet and ankles.

Seated at our favorite chop bar
Gabby spent a long time talking and bonding and such and I realized how much I’m going to miss her when this trip is over. She’s applied to BYU and will find out at the end of the month if she got in, so here’s to hoping she’ll be there in the fall! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Kumasi